Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations.
Cookies.The Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations changed on 26 May 2011 and Insight 2 Drive has examined the details of those regulations and its implications on the use of website “cookies”. General guidance on the use of “cookies” is given here by the UK’s Information Commissioners Office.
Explanation of Cookies.Cookies are small text files that are placed on your computer by websites that you visit. They are widely used in order to make websites work, or work more efficiently, as well as to provide information to the owners of the site.
There are several types of cookies used by websites:
- Session cookies – allow websites to link the actions of a user during a browser session. These session cookies expire (and are automatically deleted) after closing your browser.
- Persistent cookies – are stored on a users’ device in between browser sessions which allows the preferences or actions of the user across a site to be remembered. Persistent cookies may be used for a variety of purposes including remembering users’ preferences and choices when using a site or to target advertising.
- First and third party cookies – Whether a cookie is ‘first’ or ‘third’ party refers to the website or domain placing the cookie. First party cookies in basic terms are cookies set by a website visited by the user. Third party cookies are cookies that are set by a domain other than the one being visited by the user. If a user visits a website and a separate (and different) organisation sets a cookie through the website that would be a third party cookie.
- Session Cookies – The Insight 2 Drive web server will set a single (‘first‘ party) session cookie so the web-server can identify you when you request to view further pages. This cookie does not hold any personal information and without this type of cookie being set, a website may not be able to function.
- First party persistent Cookies – The web server will set two Insight 2 Drive (i.e. ‘first‘party) cookies if you log in to the Member’s area of the Insight 2 Drive website. They expire approximately 30 minutes after your last page view of the member’s area. Note that the Insight 2 Drive does not use targeted advertising.
- Third party persistent Cookies – Insight 2 Drive uses Google Analytics to provide statistics on the usage of the website (i.e. visitor numbers, pages viewed etc.). This requires the placing of a Google Analytics cookie on your computer. This cookie records no personal information about you. Here is a link to Google’s Privacy Statements for your information if required.